Forensic Evaluation and Consultation
- Particular interest in Trauma and Abuse:
- Extensive experience with PTSD, both combat related traumas and the effects of adverse childhood experiences (ACEs) and complex developmental trauma
- Dr. Sapia has conducted research on the neuropsychology of PTSD and the effects of trauma on the brain which assists in the foundation for many of these evaluations
- Investigative case review of child and adult forensic interviews and evaluations in cases of alleged abuse, rape, military sexual trauma (2nd opinion review)
- Intellectual Disabilities
- Competency Evaluations (Capacity to Proceed or to Waive Miranda)
- Criminal Responsibility and Mental State Defenses (Diminished Capacity, Insanity)
- Death Penalty Litigation (Capital Mitigation)
- Federal Evaluations and Sentencing Mitigation
- Post-conviction cases
- Military: Consulting and expert witness testimony in: non-judicial punishment cases, Courts-martial proceedings, Sanity Board Evaluations
- Worker’s Compensation, Independent Medical Examinations (IME), Disability
- Pre-employment and Fitness for Duty for law enforcement/public safety organizations
Consultation services include: witness and trial preparation, analysis of expert opinions and reports, etc.
Individual therapy is frequently done in combination with family or couples therapy and, when needed, psychopharmacology.
For children, it may take the form of play therapy depending on the child’s age, developmental level and diagnosis.
Our clinicians utilize a variety of evidenced based techniques and approaches and tailor these to address the differing needs of each client.
Couples and Family Therapy
Couples and Family therapy focuses on addressing relationships. Our therapists can work with every combination of family relationships (whole families or couples, parents with children or individual members) to assist in promoting healthier and more productive ways of interacting.
As individuals we first learn about ourselves, our emotions and how to manage close relationships from the experience we have growing up in our family of origin. This personal experience influences how we tend to function in other relationships we may have throughout our lives.
As we come to better understand ourselves in our family emotional system, we can become more flexible in our marriages, our parenting, and our work and community relationships.
Clinical Assessments and Evaluations
Assessments for children, adolescents and adults to include:
- Cognitive & Psycho-educational to assess for the presence of Learning Disabilities, ADHD or other disorders.